11 Jan Instagrammer of the Week: Maura Flaherty
Maura Flaherty is an Account Associate in the San Francisco office, which she joined at the end of October. Born and raised in Chicago, Maura decided to stick around the best city and family in the world as long as she could, and attended Northwestern University to study journalism and creative writing. After graduation she spent a year serving in the Jesuit Volunteer Corps in Mobile, AL, where she worked with girls from low-income schools and learned that greeting people with “War Eagle” and “Roll Tide” is not just socially acceptable but very much expected. Before coming to LaunchSquad, she spent a year as an editor for a small lifestyle magazine where she wrote about Chicago nonprofits, fashion must-haves for stylish moms and the best 11 milkshakes in Chicago. She’s happy to advise on any/all of these. Her favorite part of PR is the creative storytelling. Some of her favorite things outside of work include listening/dancing to Taylor Swift, cheering on the Chicago Blackhawks and smudging her lipstick on too many chai tea lattes.
11 Questions with LaunchSquad
1. Last book you read? I haven’t finished it yet, but I’m halfway through Slouching Toward Bethlehem by Joan Didion and it’s so beautifully-written.
2. Early bird or night owl? I’ve been told I’m in “too good of a mood in the morning” so I would say early bird.
3. Best thing that happened to you this month? My sister’s Gatsby-themed NYE party in Chicago.
4. Favorite breakfast food? I could eat cereal for every meal — my mom let us have all those sugary cereals as a kid and now I’m addicted.
5. Favorite place you’ve ever been? Edinburgh, Scotland is like a fairy-tale city — it’s where I studied abroad. I think everyone should visit it at least once.
6. Favorite thing about PR and Creative Communications? I love the challenge of finding the creative story and telling it through a variety of platforms.
7. Coffee or tea? It depends on the day — if I’m having a bad day, I’ll need coffee.
8. Favorite rainy day activity? Beating people at foosball and/or air hockey.
9. Favorite exercise? Running outside at night.
10. Dogs or cats? I love dogs, especially mine — she’s a big, fluffy Goldendoodle named Gertrude.
11. Favorite thing about LaunchSquad? I love the ability to work with such a variety of clients. From Guardtime to Chubbies, I feel like I’ve gained so much perspective on the different kinds of people and success stories there are in the business world.
Follow Maura all week on LaunchSquad’s Instagram.